Basic Searcher Fall 2019
This is a combined seventy (70) hour classroom and field training course that follows the new CSA standard as well as the Government of The Northwest Territories training standard for Basic Searcher.
– Search categories in the Northwest Territories
– Government and agency roles
– Overview of Search Management
– Land Navigation (Compass, Map and combined Map and Compass)
– General Operations (Legal issues, Packs, Clothing, Predator awareness, Helicopter safety, Hypothermia)
– Lost Person Behavior (Probability Zones, Behavior Profiles, Application to Search and Rescue)
– Ground Search (YKSAR Expectations and Call Out, Type I, II, II, IV searches, Clue Awareness, Scanning Techniques)
– Communications (YKSAR specific VHF and UHF handheld radios, Satellite phones, Cell phone, SPOT and Inreach)
There will a drop-in style information session about the Basic Searcher course as well as YKSAR’s role in the community.
Date: Wednesday, October 23rd
Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Arctic Response (located in the small strip mall across the street from the RTL building on Old Airport Road)
Dates: October 25 to 27th
Friday, October 25– 7:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, October 26 – 9:00 to 4:00 pm and again from 6:00 to 9:00 pm
Sunday, October 27 – 9:00 to 4:00 pm
Location: Arctic Response
Dates: November 1 to 3
Time: 7:00 pm departure on Friday, return around 4:00 pm on Sunday
Location: Prelude Lake or Cameron River site depending on weather
The cost of the course is $50.00 which includes membership in Yellowknife Search and Rescue. This course is intended for individuals who wish to be part of a volunteer search and rescue organization. YKSAR members are expected to play an active role in the organization. As well, an RCMP criminal record check is a requirement to join Yellowknife Search and Rescue.
* Yellowknife Search and Rescue has cross membership agreements with Somba Ke Paddling Club, Yellowknife Climbing Club and Great Slave Snowmobile Association. Please indicate this in the Notes section of the registration form.
The course is limited to a maximum of 12 participants.
To Register follow this link: Basic Searcher Fall 2019
Full course outline: Click here