Basic Searcher Spring 2023 (tentatively last May weekend and first June weekend)
This is a combined seventy (70) hour classroom and field training course that follows the new CSA standard for Basic Searcher.
– Search categories in the Northwest Territories
– Government and agency roles
– Overview of Search Management
– Land Navigation (Compass, Map and combined Map and Compass)
– General Operations (Legal issues, Packs, Clothing, Predator awareness, Helicopter safety, Hypothermia)
– Lost Person Behavior (Probability Zones, Behavior Profiles, Application to Search and Rescue)
– Ground Search (YKSAR Expectations and Call Out, Type I, II, II, IV searches, Clue Awareness, Scanning Techniques)
– Communications (YKSAR specific VHF and UHF handheld radios, Satellite phones, Cell phone, SPOT and Inreach)
Location: Arctic Response
Location: Prelude Lake or Cameron River site depending on weather
This course requires that you complete the BICO online course. Please bring your certificate with you.
The cost of the course is $50.00 which includes membership in Yellowknife Search and Rescue. This course is intended for individuals who wish to be part of a volunteer search and rescue organization. YKSAR members are expected to play an active role in the organization. As well, an RCMP criminal record check is a requirement to join Yellowknife Search and Rescue.
* Yellowknife Search and Rescue has cross membership agreements with Somba Ke Paddling Club, Yellowknife Climbing Club and Great Slave Snowmobile Association. Please indicate this in the Notes section of the registration form.
The course is limited to a maximum of 12 participants.
To Register follow this link: Basic Searcher spring 2023